Saturday, June 03, 2006

May

1. Seven Practices of Effective Ministry by Andy Stanley.
This is an interesting little book packed full of good leadership insights and told with a great baseball story!

2. Sackett by Louis L'Amour
That was just for fun! I love these little westerns.

3. The Revival We Need by Oswald Smith
This is my second reading, and it was even better with the re-read. It reminds us of the necessity of revival in our land and churches.

4. Preacher and Prayer by E.M. Bounds
Another re-read -- but I needed the reminder. It's the best book on prayer available for pastors. (Note -- as prayer is the most important ministry a pastor has, it should be read every year!)

5. The Wilderness Within by David Mackes
This is the fabulous biography of Sigurd Olson, the naturalist and writer. I've read all of Sigurd Olson's books, and his biography helped me understand him at a deeper level. Interestingly, I discovered that Sigurd was a Baptist preacher's kid. His dad's narrowness drove him away from orthodoxy, I believe.

6. Confessions of a Reformission Rev by Mark Driscoll
This is a delightful book that tells the story of the lessons learned in launching and growing a missional church. Driscoll is a great writer, and really funny. Sometimes, he goes over the edge, I think. Doctrinally, we wouldn't match up exactly. Nevertheless, I gained some valuable insights from this excellent book.

No comments: